Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 12 17 2:26 PM

Tags : :

Gentlemen,
   I am looking forward this next week to some late season Grouse and Pheasant hunting in Potter/Tioga, Pa.  The weather has broken a might so It should be real nice in the Grouse woods and Pheasant fields here on the norther tier, for at least a week of so.  Lots of water and snow melt so the woods will be quite as the dogs glide thru it.  Want to use both my new LeFever 12 Gauge and semi New L.C. Smith 28 Gauge, most of the time I am doing these late season bird hunts.  If any of you men happen to be in the Potter County mountains this next coming week, drop me some e-mail and we will take a walk thur the woods together.  

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine-Creek@live.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Apr 24 17 2:44 PM

28 gauge,
The rest of the bird season was very good, we hunted Grouse right up to almost the last day, along with taking a few more Pheasants after Grouse season ended. Both the newly purchased LeFever 12 & modern 28 L.C Smith double guns preformed very well using the SpredR shells, on both the Grouse and Pheasants. All in all it was a great bird season here in Pa, we are hoping for a similar season next year. Unfortunately Grouse season here in Pa has been shortened for the coming year, due to an unproven West Niles scare. The Pheasant season well continue however, so we will still be able to hunt some birds late in the Pa season next year. Most of these Pheasant are stocked birds that have become pretty wild, especially the hold overs, which we now have in small numbers, in several locations thru out the mountains.
Pine Creek/Dave

Last Edited By: Pine Creek Apr 24 17 2:54 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 3 17 2:08 PM

I know this post is older but I love grouse hunting in Potter County. Oh and I'm a big fan of the Spredr rounds. I've killed several ruffs with it. Nice gun BTW. I just bought a new Dickinson and grouse season cant get here fast enough. The shortening of the season was quite a blow but there are options for grouse.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 5 17 7:59 AM

Swampy16,
I agree the shortening of Grouse season here in Pa was nothing more than a political stunt by the new Pa Grouse Biologist. On an unproven theory this female Grouse biologist convinced the PGC upper management to shorten the Grouse season all over Pa. The upper management of the PGC wants shorter season and more cost, well it's starting to happen. You younger guns better start raising some serious objections if you do not want it to continue. The small study injecting young birds with WN is one of the worst I have ever seen. Further robbing the Pa Grouse nests of eggs to run the test just added to the decline of our Pa Grouse population, many of the female Grouse do not retest when this happens. I helped with some of Bill Palmers PGC/RGS Grouse studies, he was a fantastic Pa Grouse Biologist, his forced retirement because of his recommendation to open Grouse season clear into February and for Pa to properly manage their forests thru timber cutting, shows the intent of the PGC with his replacement. I have been hunting and participating in the PGC/RGS development of Grouse management areas for over 50 years now, spend most of my time in Potter/Tioga County where Bill's best Grouse studies were accomplished. I even tried to have Eric Miller, the head PGC Biologist intervene on the behalf of our Pa Grouse hunters asking for a real in-depth WN Study, it did no good. The PGC management wanted this to happen and instead of doing a real in-depth study prior to changing the season, the PGC screwed the Pa Grouse hunters and eliminated the late season all over the state. This move placated the liberals in our PGC political management, next will come the expansion of the snow mobile trails on PGC lands, mark my words. For many years Bill Palmer kept them from shortening the Grouse season, stopping every different bogus political sham they cooked up. Bill's retirement will be the worst things to happen to the Pa Grouse hunters in the history of this state.

Glad you like the new SpredR loads, I really like them also.

Pine Creek/Dave

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help